I had the goal of posting a blog update once a week; so far I have failed miserably. This winter has left me rather listless. The general malaise brought on by the nature of January mixed with recent hormone changes has created the perfect storm of stagnation. To be fair to myself, not total stagnation as I have made progress on the mimics - I just haven't felt like writing about it. I am slowly coming around and hope I can be a little more visible in the coming weeks.
I had five mimics cast; however, cold fingers + distraction led one to meet an untimely end with the concrete floor. Now there are four. The theme for this batch, which isn't so much a theme as a color scheme, is charcoal & oatmeal (which I believe I may have posted about already). I have one finished, well finished except for her hair - which, I suppose is a pretty critical part. This will be the only completely pale (or oatmeal) one. The rest will be on the dark side. Everything is hand stitched and embroidered, which took me quite a bit of time - longer than I had originally thought it would anyway.
In other news, another issue of the DC Conspiracy's comic newspaper, Magic Bullet, just came out and I have a story (illustrated by the talented Hobbes Holluck) featured in it. The piece is titled 'Verdun', and if you have any knowledge of The Great War, you should pick up on the strong influence that horrific and eye opening moment in history has recently had on me.
Both sprouting tuber mimic sisters are finished. I am very fond of them. I find they have an element of romance; which perhaps stems from my wedding anniversary earlier this month. Anyway, more pictures and notification of when they will be listed for sale will be posted no later than this weekend.
It has taken longer to provide a work in progress update than I had intended (big surprise). I have been approaching work rather leisurely this past month and devoting the majority of my time to my little one. I have some one of a kind pieces in the process of being sculpted, but they are not at a visually interesting stage worthy of photographing just yet. Two sprouting tuber mimics, on the other hand, are nearly finished. Clothing and wigs have been worked on today and should be completed by this weekend. I was only able to snap one decent picture of them without a tiny human hand thrust into the shot.More to come in the next few days.
Oh! Before I forget to mention it (again), the pieces Primeval Threadbare and Humi are currently on display at the Return to the Wild show at the Auguste Clown Gallery. They are available for purchase through the gallery with international shipping. I should note that their prices are listed in AUD and not USD.
Over the weekend I (with my ever supportive husband's helping hand) was able to run a few casts. I forgot what an aggravating process it can be. Luckily, I had three bodies and a few heads turn out well. I still need to do a bit of sanding on them, drill a few holes for limb attachment, and fill any holes from air pockets with epoxy clay.
It has been one thing after another these past few days when it comes to taking photographs. First, I had delays because of being sick. Yesterday it was raining off and on, which in itself wasn't a huge issue. However, the humidity was ridiculous yesterday and my camera lens fogged before I could get one shot off. The on and off rain made it so I couldn't leave my camera outside to acclimate to the weather. Today is almost perfect - total cloud cover, the humidity is low enough for my camera to work, and while the ground is damp, it isn't raining.
However, being that is me, I have neglected to check the battery status on my camera recently. Naturally, after only a couple shots the battery died. I have it charging and will be able to finish up in the next hour or so. In the meantime...
I have a terrible head cold that is causing me to not think all too clearly and making me move like molasses on a cold day, so I am going to keep this short.
The primeval threadbare has (finally!) been finished. Due to the head cold I just couldn't focus enough to take all of the photographs that I would like, so consider these just a first viewing. I'm still finishing up the fungi doll (official name is still to be determined). There is very little left to complete on her, so she should be done by tonight.
Both of these gals will soon be packed up and heading to Australia for the Return to the Wild show at the Auguste Clown Gallery in November.
Sculpting on the fungi is very close to being finished. There is still a bit of detailing to be done. The primeval threadbare is quickly coming along as well. If all goes well, I am hoping to have the sculpting on both finished by the end of this week.
As I was sculpting the ragbot, I was also working on this fungi inspired piece. I still have a bit of detailing work on the stem, face, and oysters... oh, she's going to need a neck as well.