Well, I managed to have two consecutive days of completing a writing prompt/exercise before I neglected it. In all fairness to myself, life has been rather rushed the last week or so.
If you are itching to read something (which I am sure you are not), I have a short piece of fiction published in the latest issue of Thrice Fiction Magazine. While there is a print copy available for sale, the entire magazine is also available via a free PDF.
The main reason I have not worked on any writing (or updating this blog) is I have been, for lack of a better phrase, hauling ass trying to finish my piece for an upcoming traveling group show (which I do believe I have mentioned in a prior post). The show features 3D interpretations of the robots created in the amazing illustrations by Ezerd. I am consistent in greatly underestimating how long a project will take and how much work it will be, and this doll is no exception. She is completely hand sculpted and everything is hand stitched & embroidered. All of the fabric and thread has been dyed with either avocado (it dyes pink, go figure!) or cranberries. I wasn't feeling all that well today, so I was only able to snap a few pictures. I'll post her in her entirety tomorrow. The show will have three locations, the third's opening date is still TBA. The first two openings will be:
Progress on the 'Ragbot' inspired by one of the incredible robot illustrations by Ezerd for her upcoming travelling show.
I'm hoping to have majority of the sculpting finished by the end of today with just some minor touch-ups to do tomorrow. I still need to do a bit of sewing for the limbs and then tackle a headdress. I'm still turning it over in my head how I'm going to accomplish it and not make it too top heavy and throwing to balance off.
I have a few new pieces that I have been slaving away on this past month. They're a bit different and I am elated that I am experimenting. I've had a wealth of ideas over my period of repose that I am finally able to bring out into the tangible world.
I have been quite taken with unusual natural forms as of late. This current obsession caused me to purchase a most incredible fungi reference book. Slowly a doll heavily influenced by this fascinating kingdom has begun to emerge. She is still very much a work in progress, but her basic form has been fleshed out.
I am a little amazed that it has been so long since I posted last. I could have sworn it had only been a week or two. It is absolutely terrifying how time can get away from us.
Since my last post I have finished a new doll, my first doll that is not a resin cast since early 2013. It feels good to step away from the mimics for a bit.
After I finished the last touches today, I tried to take advantage of the perfect cloud covered day for photographs. Unfortunately it started to rain a bit after only a few minutes of me stepping outside. I was able to take a few shots before I had to retreat back inside. So, this will just have to be a sneak peek.
Well, taking final photographs has proved a near impossible feat. I don't like using anything but natural light and since these dolls in particular are humanoid plants I feel it is imperative that they are photographed outside.
Having a young child and needing a good amount of time outside without distraction, I had to wait until the weekend so my other half could keep watch over our budding trouble maker (side note: I am beginning to think she's actually part raccoon). Lo and behold it ended up being a very busy weekend and we were hardly home.
I was able to take a few moments and try to capture some images. Of course it was 80 degrees with the brightest sun I have seen all year, not the best lighting by a long shot. Needless to say, I wasn't pleased with the bulk of the few photographs I was able to take. I managed to have two shots that I was content with, so it wasn't a complete failure I suppose.
Luckily, there is a chance of thunderstorms for the next two days. My fingers (and toes) are crossed that everything will align and I will get some nice cloud cover without rain + have a half hour or so to steal away outside alone.
On a positive note, I put in my order for some appropriate shipping boxes for these goils and they should be here soon. I am optimistic that a shop update will be able to be announced some time this week.
I cannot describe how good it feels to have finished this last mimic. It has made the last remnants of my long slump disappear. I didn't have time to take detailed photographs of the trio, but I did want to give a sneak peek at this last doll. So, here are some quick teaser photos of her. Final photographs of all three will be posted in the next couple of days as well as an announcement of when they will be listed for sale.
I have completed the second sprouting tuber mimic. One more to go! Depending on how the weekend unfolds, I am hopeful that I will have the third finished by the beginning of next week.
Here's a little glance of number two.
I have finally finished one sprouting tuber mimic. I decided to move away from what I have done garment wise with previous mimics - making all of the clothing identical with a simple, mostly machine sewn design. I never liked the result. So, I am back to hand sewing everything with each doll having a unique clothing design. It technically takes much longer, but I'm actually moving faster because I am enjoying working for the first time since I started making the mimics.
So here is a sneak peek at the first finished sprouting tuber mimic. The other two shouldn't be too far behind.