It has taken longer to provide a work in progress update than I had intended (big surprise). I have been approaching work rather leisurely this past month and devoting the majority of my time to my little one. I have some one of a kind pieces in the process of being sculpted, but they are not at a visually interesting stage worthy of photographing just yet. Two sprouting tuber mimics, on the other hand, are nearly finished. Clothing and wigs have been worked on today and should be completed by this weekend. I was only able to snap one decent picture of them without a tiny human hand thrust into the shot.More to come in the next few days.
Oh! Before I forget to mention it (again), the pieces Primeval Threadbare and Humi are currently on display at the Return to the Wild show at the Auguste Clown Gallery. They are available for purchase through the gallery with international shipping. I should note that their prices are listed in AUD and not USD.
Over the weekend I (with my ever supportive husband's helping hand) was able to run a few casts. I forgot what an aggravating process it can be. Luckily, I had three bodies and a few heads turn out well. I still need to do a bit of sanding on them, drill a few holes for limb attachment, and fill any holes from air pockets with epoxy clay.
Well, taking final photographs has proved a near impossible feat. I don't like using anything but natural light and since these dolls in particular are humanoid plants I feel it is imperative that they are photographed outside.
Having a young child and needing a good amount of time outside without distraction, I had to wait until the weekend so my other half could keep watch over our budding trouble maker (side note: I am beginning to think she's actually part raccoon). Lo and behold it ended up being a very busy weekend and we were hardly home.
I was able to take a few moments and try to capture some images. Of course it was 80 degrees with the brightest sun I have seen all year, not the best lighting by a long shot. Needless to say, I wasn't pleased with the bulk of the few photographs I was able to take. I managed to have two shots that I was content with, so it wasn't a complete failure I suppose.
Luckily, there is a chance of thunderstorms for the next two days. My fingers (and toes) are crossed that everything will align and I will get some nice cloud cover without rain + have a half hour or so to steal away outside alone.
On a positive note, I put in my order for some appropriate shipping boxes for these goils and they should be here soon. I am optimistic that a shop update will be able to be announced some time this week.
I cannot describe how good it feels to have finished this last mimic. It has made the last remnants of my long slump disappear. I didn't have time to take detailed photographs of the trio, but I did want to give a sneak peek at this last doll. So, here are some quick teaser photos of her. Final photographs of all three will be posted in the next couple of days as well as an announcement of when they will be listed for sale.
I have completed the second sprouting tuber mimic. One more to go! Depending on how the weekend unfolds, I am hopeful that I will have the third finished by the beginning of next week.
Here's a little glance of number two.
I have finally finished one sprouting tuber mimic. I decided to move away from what I have done garment wise with previous mimics - making all of the clothing identical with a simple, mostly machine sewn design. I never liked the result. So, I am back to hand sewing everything with each doll having a unique clothing design. It technically takes much longer, but I'm actually moving faster because I am enjoying working for the first time since I started making the mimics.
So here is a sneak peek at the first finished sprouting tuber mimic. The other two shouldn't be too far behind.