This month has been going smoothly without any progress stagnation. It is so refreshing after the first three months of this year being so bumpy. I believe I mentioned before that I had to move all of my mold making and casting from my home when my daughter was born, so I am only able to work on casting on the weekends. My time was limited last weekend, but I was able to cast the first honey mimic and a set of ornaments. I did not, however, have time to sand, drill, and glue the doll and ornaments. I will get to that this weekend and be able to paint her in the next couple of days. I was able to finish (or nearly) the honey dress this week. I still have a bit of embroidery to complete on the skirt and I am going back and forth about whether I want to make a cap for her. I ordered some new fiber today for wigs, so I will more than likely hold off completing her until that arrives. This dress was a lot of work, but I am in love with it.
I am including a few bonus pictures of the vermilion mimic no. 1. It is a nice overcast day today and I wanted to take some outside shots of her. I managed to get three test shots inside before my camera battery completely died. I really need to be better at checking how much juice it has more frequently.
It is late and I am exhausted, so I am going to refrain from writing much. The first mimic in the Vermilion & Honey series is finished. More pictures (and dolls!) to follow.
I have been productive as a bee this week, even with the weather taking a dive back to cold. Over the weekend I had enough time to run one round of casts that yielded one mimic and three ornaments. With the vermilion doll now painted, her limbs completed last week, and progress on her clothing being at about 40%, she should be all finished up next week. This go around I will be finishing dolls up one or two at a time, so by the time the shop update rolls around in June you should know everything that will be available well in advance. I think this will be a lot less stressful on my end. I may have said all of this in my prior post; I can't recall and the squirming toddler on my lap isn't giving me the time to go look.
Anyway, back to the progress from this week. As I said, the vermilion doll has been cast and painted. I still need to seal her this evening and I am toying with adding some splattering to her. I tried dyeing fabric with turmeric for the first time. The first round wasn't great. I added way to much ground turmeric and became distracted, leaving the fabric soaking much too long. The color came out way too bright and saturated for my tastes. I dyed the fabric again with some black tea, hoping that would help darken and dull it. That seemed to do the trick. Round two of turmeric dyeing went much better. I added very little and took the fabrics out quickly in intervals of 30 seconds, 1 minute, 2 minutes, and 15 minutes. I was more than pleased with the results. I am incorporating all of the dyed fabrics into the honey mimic by sewing very small honeycomb shaped pieces together to make her bodice. It is a lot of work, but I think the end result will be more than worth it.