I feel relatively accomplished this week... and I have the scary bloodshot eyes from working late into the night to show for it. Along with five pairs of umber legs finished a couple of days ago, I just finished five dresses as well. Everything is sewn by hand and dyed with coffee + cinnamon. I dry them in the oven, giving those little burnt touches. Man, does it smell good when they're heating up. My nose keeps telling me there must be a fresh cake around and I somehow get tricked enough to feel disappointment when all I see are little dresses. My daughter and I keep sniffing the dyed legs like fiending addicts. It reminds me of fall... and for a moment I can forget it is unbearably sunny and hot outside. I have a defect body and head that I use to make patterns that I had try on the dresses for reference.
I probably won't be able to do any casting this weekend, as I am all booked up with personal things. But, I should be able to finish the arms next week and cast the following weekend. My goal is to be able to have these five done by the end of the month.
All of the vermilion + honey mimics have been sent on their merry way and now I can fully jump into a new project. In the last week or so I have been reevaluating what I have done in the first part of the year and how I want to move forward with the second half. When I originally started making mimics back in 2013, they were meant to be austere versions of my dolls so that I could have lower priced dolls as well as the more expensive one of a kind, original sculpt. This year I have moved away from that plan and made the mimics fall somewhere in the middle. While I don't mind that shift in the least and really enjoyed the sets I made this year, I want to change course a bit for the next update in September.
I will be making a set of more muted mimics as well as an original hand sculpted doll. I have really missed sculpting and I can feel my fingers losing their memory. These mimics will be all in the same fabrics, no embroidery and will be around half the cost of the previous mimic sets. Each will very slightly in hair fiber & style as well as face paint. I have almost finished a set of five legs, all dyed with that ever fragrant coffee + cinnamon... lending to this set being called umber.
The June shop update is almost here! Listings will go up in my Etsy shop this Wednesday (the 8th) at 10 am eastern time. All four of the vermilion & honey mimics will be available as well as Cthulhu, tuber, and mimic head cast away ornaments. Plus, the Ezerd inspired Ragbot doll has made her way back from her gallery journey and will also be available.
Just a note on a few minor changes... the vermilion no. 1 doll has changed slightly since I first posted photos of her back in April. I wasn't happy with her cap, so I have removed it and added more volume to her hair. Also, the some of the naturally dyed fabric on the Ragbot has faded, so I will take some new photos of her and post them tomorrow.